Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Why Is It So Difficult?

To order vegan/vegetarian food out? My mother-in-law came through her surgery(Thank God.), and is recovering at home. I honestly wish I could say she is in good spirits, but she isn't. Way, way, way too much drama. So much in fact, it would make a five or six hundred page novel =)

Needless to say, cafeteria food and lots of Subway veggie sandwiches have filled my life the past week or so. This is what I cannot figure out, when kids order special menu items it's brushed off. When omni's order meals and make special requests(no butter, no salt, etc.) it's not a big deal, but when you are a vegan/vegetarian, it's like you just stepped out of a UFO. I cannot count how many times someone has had to ask a manager, "what comes on a veggie?" and my favorite, "We don't have a veggie sub." To which I politely point to the menu board above their heads. Nine out of ten times I get "the" look.

I did find one extremely nice cafeteria worker, who was kind enough to call her superiors to find out which veggies were cooked with meat as flavorings. Which, of course, were all but the squash and tomatoes and mac & cheese.

Is it really so hard to wash the knife that's been cutting lunch meat(UGH) all day off for a veggie lover?

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Glad your mother-in-law is doing better!

I do hate those bastards that look at us like we're crazy because we don't want meat. What Subway are going to? Does it have the veggie patty sub or just the veggie delite? I've found the ones that carry the veggie patty to be much more understanding. But not all Subways carry it....I freakin' love those things!