Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cheesy Rice Bake

This is one of the best recipes that I have made in a while. I know everybody under the3 sun has a rice casserole recipe, however I have also noticed that most of them also contain some kind of meat or meat product. They don't usually have garlic or flavorings and they have been really dull tasting to me. So I created my own. The one I made today is vegetarian but this could easily be made vegan as well.

Cheesy Rice Bake

3 cups of cooked rice

1 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil

1/2 an onion diced finely

1 1/2 tsp of celery leaf(you can use real celery, Joey cannot digest it so I left it out.)

2 tsp. of garlic(either powder or 1 minced clove)

1 can of vegetarian cream of chicken soup

3/4 cup of milk

1 1/2 cups of cheddar

Pepper to taste

This was so easy, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil till translucent, then add the soup and milk and celery leaf and let simmer. Once simmering lower the heat and add one cup of the cheddar cheese and pepper as desired. Transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes till golden around the edges. Remove, sprinkle with additional pepper and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.(Unless you want a burnt tongue like I know have.)


2 comments:

jessy said...

your cheesy rice bake looks scrumptious! i'm already thinking of ways to veganize it! mmmmmmmmmmmm! i really love the addition of garlic, and i might throw some onion powder in with the onion too! :D man, it looks so delicious!

Bianca said...

Yum! I love rice casseroles...and this one looks great...I bet I could make it with a handful of vegan cheese.

Oh, and I see you FINALLY posted the pics of pumpkin muffins! Now I really want one. Pumpkin = My Heart!