Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Couple of Sides I Made For Thanksgiving

Still updating from Thanksgiving, and pictured above are the roasted carrots and cranberry sauce. I prefer making my own cranberry sauce over listening to the squish and plunk of the canned version making it's way to the plate. Not that I don't eat the canned stuff on occasion, but for the special days I prefer my own. I used Alton's recipe this year with a few small adjustments. Am I the only person who cannot leave a recipe exactly as it is?

1 pound frozen cranberries

2 cups orange juice (I added some orange extract to give it a little more oomph)

3 cups ginger ale

2 tablespoons maple syrup (Used less)

2 tablespoons light brown sugar (used about a 1/2 cup)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 orange, zested

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan (stainless steel), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
Carefully puree with stick blender or blender until smooth. Check for seasoning and serve in small ramekins.

No comments: