Saturday, January 17, 2009

"N" Dumplings


Down here in the South, one of our winter staples is Chicken "N" Dumplings. I always say "and" over "n", but thought "N" would appear more humorous in writing. Now my omni husband prefers his with chicken, so I generally fix him a can(UGH) to go with, fixed up to fit my dumpling flavors. I love the "Not-Chick'n" bouillon cubes by Edward & Sons that you can purchase at Whole Foods. It's the closest I have found to the real thing.


There is something so comforting about a hot bowl of dumplings in extremely cold weather. Here's my recipe:


Broth:
7 cups cold water
3 1/2 Not-Chick'n boulloion cubes
1 1/2 Tbs. of dried parsley
1 Tbs. Garlic powder
1 Tbs. Onion Powder
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste(I use a lot)
3 Tbs. flour mixed with half a cup of water(to thicken broth)



I use a basic biscuit dough for the dumplings, you can use your own recipe or even canned biscuits cut in fours. For the broth, just boil the water, add the seasonings and simmer for about fifteen minutes. Bring to a boil then add the flour/water mixture and allow to thicken. Continue with the rolling boil and drop biscuits into broth, once all your biscuit dough is added, lower heat, cover and cook about ten minutes to ensure dough is cooked thoroughly. Cool slightly and enjoy!

No comments: