Saturday, June 21, 2008

Yummy Vegan Taco Night!!



I promise I am working on the pics!! On to the yumminess. Mexican food is, quite literally my favorite food. Since going Vegan I have been missing Rotel dip desperately. I really never thought I would have anything that tasty and creamy and spicy again.

I begin searching Vegan websites to find recipes and read reviews. On VegWeb.com I discovered a nutritional yeast queso sauce. I decided to experiment when my good friend Steph(Who is an extrodinary cake maker and a fellow Vegan. Hey! Us Vegans must stick together.) so when we decided to chill out one night I thought what a great chance to try this recipe. Both of us agreed it was really good, and quite close to Rotel, though not exactly the same. The recipe is posted on VegWeb.com but I reccomend adding some extra paprika and chili powder to give it an extra kick.

The following day, having so much queso left over. I decided to experiment with some tempeh and black bean tacos. WOW!!!! I was in heaven. I have been craving tacos for almost as long as Rotel, and these satisfied my craving so much more than anything Taco Bell could ever make. I don't remeber where I found the recipe, but I changed up most of it. The tacos consisted of:

1 package of Tempeh

1 can of black beans with 1/4 cup of liquid reserved

1 bell pepper

1 onion

1 clove of minced garlic

1 1/2 Tsp of Cumin

Pinch of salt

Chili powder to taste

2 TBS. of olive oil

Begin by dicing the onion and garlic and sauteeing on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes to flavor the oil. Depending on how crispy you like your peppers, you can add them now or later. Crumble the tempeh in with the onions and garlic and add your seasonings. Cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 12-15 minutes depending on your stove. Once the tempeh is done, drain the black beans, and add the black beans with reserved 1/4 cup of liquid and cook till beans are heated and serve. I served mine with the remaining queso dip, Tofutti sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and black olives. I like this recipe for the easiness, quickness and the ability to alter the spices to specific tastes.

No comments: