Thursday, August 28, 2008

Shake Your Bon-Bon

The other day I had made a batch of Golden cupcake from Vctotw, just to find them not that golden or tasty. I hate to waste food, which had me thinking how I could salvage those cupcakes. I don't remember where I saw this from, but I think it was the Barefoot Contessa one afternoon. I made some cake bon-bons. And Damn!!! Where these tasty.

1 batch of screwed up cupcakes

1 1/2 cups of water

1 1/2 cups of sugar

18 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or I used chips

4 1/2 tbs of earth balance

rum, whiskey, or assorted extracts and nuts

toasted nuts of your choice

lots of time

Crumble the cupcakes up in one large bowl. Mix the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat till sugar is melted and you have created a simple syrup. Have several smaller bowls, or I just rinsed an reused mine, ready to go. Have one large cookie sheet with parchment paper right beside you. Pour about 1/2 cup of simple syrup in your small bowl(s), add about 1 tsp of your extract/liquors or both. I used lemon extract with rum/Jack Daniels/Chocolate chips. The lemon/rum ones were my favorite, followed by the Jack. Once you have the syrup and flavoring added, add about a cup to a cup and a half of your cake crumbs and mix till cake is almost soggy but holds a ball shape when you form it with your fingers. Place on cookie sheet. Continue with whatever flavors you have chosen till you are out of cake. Place in refrigerator to set. While the cake balls are setting up, melt the earth balance in a medium size saucepan on low-medium heat. Once melted add the chocolate and melt it as well. Pull cake balls out of fridge and using a spoon and fork begin dipping the balls in chocolate and replacing on sheet. Continue this process till all balls are covered, garnish as desired.

The ones I snapped a shot of are rum-lemon balls with lemon zest, Bourbon, chocolate chip with toasted almonds. These are incredibly rich!!! But so good.........
No I didn't make these in the same day! These are lemon tea cookies which I still did not like so I am trying again.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

What an awesome way to use up cake! I might try this next time I have leftover cake that I'm bored with.

Also, I talked to Steph a couple days ago and asked if she wanted to meet up before the meeting for Pita Wraps on Thursday. You in?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Cake and bon bons together?! OMG!!!