Thursday, August 14, 2008

Soup's on

For reasons unknown to me, my stomach has been on a turbulent twisting roller coaster ride this past week. Due to that wonderful ride I have been unable to tolerate much of anything in the way of food. Having grown weary of store-bought vegan soups, I decided to make my own. It began as a Minestrone and turned into a macaroni-minestrone-vegetable soup. It is loaded with carrots, potatoes, sweet peas, green beans, diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and macaroni. It is seasoned with oregano, parsley, basil, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. I was really aiming for a minestrone, but quickly discovered I was missing the correct pasta and the needed beans. I was also completely out of corn. This turned out so incredibly good, that I will definitely be making this quite often over the coming winter. Though I do think I should invite everyone I know over when I do recreate this meal, this made so much soup. I froze most of it so I no longer have to rely on nasty canned vegan soups.


Feeling slightly better after consuming some hot soup, I decided to experiment with some of the blueberries that were left from last weeks farmer's market. I have been playing around with a muffin/coffee cake recipe, very similar to the banana chocolate chip muffins that I posted last week. It is a basic muffin recipe with a coffee cake topping and some toasted slivered almonds to add some depth to the flavor. I will post an inside soon.




2 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

So sorry that your tummy has been giving you trouble.....

The coffee cake looks great!

Bianca said...

Yum! Veggie soup! I've been meaning to make a good soup with this awesome summer produce at the market right now.