Friday, August 8, 2008

Tofu Fries!!!

So I try to eat healthy everyday and before you think about all the baking I do and chuckle, I make all of my baked goodies as healthy as possible. Back to the meal below. I think I have found my favorite unhealthy but extremely tasty tofu recipe!! Tofu Fries!! I discovered the recipe on VegWeb, yet made several modifications to the recipe. I made this Monday, one of the few days I was home the entire day. I served them with turnip greens, black-eyed peas, cornbread and rice(with plenty of vegan butter on top). Joey also decided to make his yummy fried green tomatoes which we almost always eat with ranch dressing. The tofu fries are at the top of the plate underneath the cornbread. I am now going to have to prepare these a couple of times a month.


Tofu Fries

1 package of extra firm tofu(drained and pressed)

3 -4 TBS. of vegan butter

Seasonings of your choice

Once the tofu is drained, simply melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cut the tofu in eight strips across the block, then simply cut these to look as fries. Coat the fries generously with seasonings. I loved the Cajun blend I did mine in. Then just add the strips to the hot butter, cooking each side for about 3-4 minutes till crispy. Drip/drain on paper towels and enjoy!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the recipe calls for the butter, I used a smaller amount of canola oil and it tasted great.



1 comment:

Bianca said...

I've never seen anything like this before. But it sounds so good and so simple!