Sunday, August 31, 2008

Finally, Successful Lemon Tea Cookies

So after three tries, I finally found found success with the Lemon Tea Cookies. I know you would not believe it with all the chocolate that I bake, but I much prefer citrus desserts over chocolate in the summer. These are a little thicker than a traditional cookie, but still yummy. I think I would also recommend baking a little longer than the recipe says, depending on your oven. Pictured with the cookies is a scone, I did not like the scones, so I will have to keep on baking.

Lemon Tea Cookies

1/2 cup of vegan margarine or butter

3/4 cups of sugar

1 1/2 tsp. of lemon zest

1 tsp. of baking powder

1/4 tsp. of baking soda

1/4 cup of silken tofu, soft, whizzed with 1/2 tsp. of cornstarch

1/3 cup of soy milk

1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract

1 3/4 cup of AP flour

2 tsp. of lemon juice

1/4 cup of sugar

2 Tbs. of lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar for about 1 minute. Add the next four ingredients and mix well. Add the milk and vanilla and mix, then slowly add the flour about a 1/4 of a cup at a time. Mix well, on a greased cookie sheet, place cookies by teaspoonful about 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes or til edges are slightly brown. Move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Once the cookies are cooled, mix the remaining sugar and lemon juice together an brush on cookies. The original recipe is from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook with several mods to make it Vegan.


(Above) Yes I have been thrift shopping again. This is the exact identical twin of my favorite plate to eat off of at my Mother-in-Law's house. I love the completely 70's design.
(Above) I found the lovely strawberry plant on this one, and couldn't resist.
(Above) This lovely little dish has a nice pattern to it, but the main reason I purchased it was because I have been needing a little serving dish for small side items.(And I liked it a lot)

My prayers and thoughts are with anyone in the line of hurricane Gustav. God Bless!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

YES for thrift shopping and YAHHHH for your lemon cookies! They look amazing.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Citrus over chocolate?! My chocolate-covered ears did not hear that!!!

But I must admit, those cookies DO look pretty delicious.

jessy said...

mmmmmmmmmm! i love the cookies! and i really super love your "new to you" plates! they're so rad! :)

Bianca said...

Ha! I have that same plate...the retro one with the orange and yellow and brown flowers! I only have one...that my Granny found at a thrift store.

Your cookies sound awesome. You should bring any leftovers to the meeting if you're coming...you know, so we can test them...