Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Few Goodies

Do you ever find yourself doing stuff around the house, when you know you should be sleeping/resting? This happens to me so often, I no longer keep count. We made a quick run to the Memphis Farmer's Market today, to stock up and to hold on to what is left of our sanity. So I thought I would show some of the great things I found today. Pictured directly below are green tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, Ripley tomatoes, and hiding to the far left are some peaches, the leeks I was surprised to discover, and a couple of medium sized Heirloom tomatoes.(The plum colored one on the right.) I also picked up another quart of the organic blueberries that I so enjoy.





Here we have some Chinese long beans, as well as something I have never seen in my life! Chinese squash! If anyone has any recipe ideals for this, please let me know. I have a few thoughts, but would love some suggestions.
We stopped by Kroger's to pick up a few things, and I discovered the organic Tahini was on sale for four dollars rather than the six that it normally is. And beside that is the Kroger brand dressing that I have become addicted to. Now, I love making homemade salad dressings, but some days you just don't feel like it. I have to say, this is one of the best bottled dressings I have ever tasted. If you sprinkle a little vegan Parmesan on the salad and then the dressing, it tastes dangerously close to Olive Garden's signature dressing.(Or as close as I can remember.)
And because sometimes you just need some chocolate, and also because I realized the banana brownies where all given away. I whipped these up late Thursday night, when yet again I should have been sleeping. (Damn insomnia is a bitch!!!!!!) I found the recipe on http://vegweb.com/ and switched a couple of things. I used soy yogurt rather than the flax seed, since I was out, and threw some chocolate chips in the batter. I can honestly say that these are the best Vegan brownies that I have ever had, and it was really shocking when Joey agreed with me. He enjoys experimenting with Vegan food, but just isn't completely there yet, so when I discover something I like, he generally has a pickier palate than I. I wish it was a better picture, but these went really quickly. I came back with the camera, and it looked like someone had attacked the plate. Though it was agreed that these taste even better once they have cooled and settled.

3 comments:

KP said...

Ooh look at all those pretty veggies! I make random trips to a farmer's market stand close to my apartments occasionally, and it's always a real treat!

Also, kudos on the cheap tahini find! I'm actually completely out and needed to find some, but it's 5+ dollars everywhere!

Bianca said...

Damn, I missed the market on Saturday b/c I was out of town...I'm so jealous.

BTW, I won't be at the meeting this Thursday because I'm going to see Paramore at Mud Island. Enjoy a pita wrap for me if you guys go!

jessy said...

your veggies are so pretty and they're making me huuuuungry, too! mmmmmmmm! nice score on the tahini as well! and yes, i find myself cooking when i should be sleeping, too! i just can't help it sometimes - there are just so many goodies to create and enjoy!