Sunday, July 27, 2008

Finally, No Sweets Tonight!!



Okay, so I thought I would give everyone a break from the sweets. Not that I didn't make any, I'll just wait till another day to show the pictures. Pictured to the left is something that I played around with. But it is so.............GOOD!! I know, I know, you look at the picture and go "ugh", Okra, I hate okra!!! I am here to tell you okra can be good when prepared right!! And it doesn't always have to be fried!!


This recipe is from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, I just added some of my own flair. It's called Smothered Okra. Though as you can see, I actually smothered rice in okra :)


Smothered Okra Recipe:


1/2 cup of diced onion

1/2 cup of diced bell pepper

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 cups of okra, cut in 1/2 inch pieces

2 cups of diced, peeled tomatoes(I cheated and used 2 cans)

2 TBS. of margarine

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 tsp. of ground red pepper(if you don't want it real spicy, use less)

3-4 dashes of hot sauce(or not if you prefer)


Saute the garlic in the margarine for about a minute of medium heat, then add the pepper and onions and cook for about 4-5 minutes or till translucent. Add the okra, tomatoes, and spices, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for about 20-25 minutes, till okra has become tender. You can serve plain or I prefer mine over rice with some extra hot sauce.


I am sure I will have more recipes with rice in the future, I purchased a rice cooker last week and have already used it three times. But at least it's healthy for you. Until I whip up a batch of rice pudding that is.


2 comments:

Bianca said...

I love okra! We actually ate raw okra at the raw party and it was even good that way. But this looks delicious. They serve a similar vegan okra dish at Java Juice & Jazz.

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh, that looks good! I was just talking about how I never used to like okra, but the stuff I had at Java, Juice and Jazz was really good! I'll have to try making this and see if I really am an okra lover now!