Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I do live around Memphis so.........



Seeing as how I do live in the Memphis area, and have never been to Graceland, I thought I would make up for it by baking up a batch of the "Elvis" peanut butter and banana cupcakes from VctotW. And can I just say, Damn!! I like sweets but not ones that are overly sweet. So this was perfect. They would have been a lot prettier had my pastry bag not been a bitch and burst open on me yet again. But they taste better than they look.

Then, still having overripe bananas and not wanting to waste them, I decided to whip up a pan of banana bread. I don't use the nuts, because I know to many people that are allergic or intolerant of them. I don't like my banana bread like the typical recipes. I prefer a little more kick and flavor. So i'll post mine with the modifications in it. I have for years used the older recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and veganized and added on. So here goes:

1 1/2 cups of flour

1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder

1/4 tsp. of baking soda

1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon

1/2 to 1 tsp of ginger(depending on how much kick you like)

Pinch of salt

1/4 cup of plain soy yogurt

1 cup of mashed (very ripe) bananas

3/4 cup of sugar

1/4 cup of oil

1 tsp. of vanilla extract

1-2 Tbs. of soy milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, grease bottom and up sides of an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan. In mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Make a well in the center of dry mixture and set aside. In another bowl, combine the bananas, yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla and milk. Add the wet mixture into the well you made earlier in the dry ingredients, just until moistened. Be careful not to overmix. Bake for anywhere from 40 to 50 minutes depending on your oven.

Hope this is a likeable recipe and you enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa - your banana bread looks so FLUFFY! Yum. Mine always turns out really heavy and dense, I'll have to give your recipe a try next time!

And those cupcakes. Oh lordy. I eye that recipe every time I flip through the book, but I haven't found a reason to make them yet. I just might have to now.

I'll see you tonight, sweetie!